Friday, April 8, 2011

A trip down memory lane

I always feel nostalgic during this time of the year. Couple of years back,I made that crucial call to Guru Mitra that changed my life forever. After waiting a lifetime I had to know if my dreams of pursuing Odissi would ever materialize? Or would I have to train to be an aerobics instructor(another of my crazy obsessions)?
I had never heard of anyone teaching adults classical dance. Mitra is a pioneer in that field. After years of teaching school kids, she had started training a few adults. I stuck around the adult & kid classes till my basics were perfected. I knew I was on the right track when my muscles ached. Mitra was the perfect guru for me, with her wealth of knowledge & never ending enthusiasm, she was determined never to let me give up. She always set the bar high, forcing me to dance under all circumstances & making me drive long distances, (to her disappointment I still cannot parallel park).
I learnt to dream big. I promised to train harder than anyone else to realize this dream of mine.
For years we had a mixed group of kids & adults performing all over New Jersey. But somewhere down the line, more & more adults started signing up till we formed RDM professionals in April 2010.It gives me immense happiness to see the girls so motivated.They literally keep me on my feet. I am grateful for getting such a great bunch of friends. Together we dream of many more successful shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment